Saturday, February 5, 2011

Practical Applications of Math Concepts in the Real World

As my kids get older they are less and less attached to me. Not emotionally-speaking, I hope that will never change, but I'm talking actually physically attached. When they were little they were like two barnacles clinging to the Saretta ship as she navigated her way through the day. I used to have to pry them off of me by force, lock the bathroom door for a moment's privacy. 

Now that my first-born is 13 (and three-quarters!) I'm lucky if I get the occasional peck on the cheek, after begging for it. That kid who used to crawl into bed with us every blessed morning at around 5:30, max 6:00 a.m., and glom on for dear life has been mysteriously transformed into this alien creature who grunts a barely audible "ugh" as he passes by.

That's why I don't mind that my 11-year-old still wants me to lie down with him to cuddle and chat before he falls asleep. It's great that he still wants me around...I'll take it as long as it lasts. The problem now, though, is that he is almost the same size as me and we don't really have enough room in his single bed to both lie down comfortably.

The Thinker at Rest
Last night, after insisting that I stay IN the bed, not NEAR the bed, but IN the bed, and lots of wiggling around trying to get comfortable he suddenly said with a loud and exasperated tone,

"What I don't get is how someone like you, who is NOT FAT, no, I'd even say NORMAL, can take up 15/16ths of the bed!"

Can you tell they're studying fractions at school?

5 comments:

Lola said...

HILARIOUS!

(And I always alert the parents of my students: there seems to be one year when teens go to the dark side of the moon, and there is no radio communication for that time. Grunts and sighs, glowers and eye rolls yes, but conversation? They can barely tolerate their family and sincerely feel that everyone in the world--except themselves and maybe their friends-- is stupid and borderline intolerable! But have faith! In about one year, said teens emerge as the most wonderful people, ready to communicate and make contact.)

Saretta said...

Oh thank you, Lola, for that light at the end of the tunnel! But, I'm afraid that just as the older son is emerging from the dark, the younger one will be entering! Help! :-)))

Marilenn said...

That is sooo funny! Stopping by from SITS! Have a wonderful weekend ahead!

Pam said...

Hahahaha! I laughed out loud at the locking out of the bathroom part. I'm at that mommyhood stage right now. Sighs.

shopgirl said...

That's so sweet. I love it! Normal - skinny, I'd say! :-))