Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Forgotten Language

Remember when you were little and it all seemed so clear to you? I remember being 10 years old and vowing to myself "I will *never* forget what it feels like to be 10 years old!" And now? I can't imagine what I was going on about at the time!

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to return to our childhood point of view every so often? Just to remember what it was like? And to feel what our children are feeling right now?

Forgotten Language
by Shel Silverstein

Once I spoke the language of the flowers,
Once I understood each word the caterpillar said,
Once I smiled in secret at the gossip of the starlings,
And shared a conversation with the housefly in my bed.
Once I heard and answered all the questions of the crickets,
And joined the crying of each falling dying flake of snow,
Once I spoke the language of the flowers. . . .
How did it go?
How did it go?

1 comment:

Dina said...

This is wonderful. So true, so sad.