Sunday, August 9, 2009

West Virginia

Ah, yes...25 hours of intercontinental air travel! What could be more fun? Our trip went something like this...Bari-Milan. Wait 5 hours. We each passed the time in ways that were typical of our personality...
Sleeping... Staring out into the distance...
Taking photos of interesting (to some!) corners of the airport...
Playing hide-and-seek... Reading the classics...

Then Milan-London. Run, run, run to catch our connecting flight! The London-Dulles flight went as smooth as could be (just remind me NOT to order the gluten-free menu again, thank you very much!) Had a sweetheart of a guy at the US passport checkpoint...why does it thrill me so much when they say "Welcome home"? Italy has been my home for so long now, but still...that welcome makes me feel like I still belong to the big heterogeneous "American family."

Happy reunion with the folks and then two more hours in the car until reaching my parents' home sweet home...

...so exhausted we could only fall into bed and sleep the sleep of the...well...of the exhausted!

It was not till the next morning that we fully appreciated just how extremely CUTE my parents have fixed up their country home...

Our bedroom...

Our bedroom window...
Our bedside table...
A corner of the boys' bedroom...

My mom is so good at creating a tastefully decorated and comfortable living space that looks like it ought to be in one of those home decorating magazines! Explain to me again exactly why some genes skip a generation?

2 comments:

Fabrizio Zanelli said...

You do (belong to the big heterogeneous "American family") for sure and I should be able to move for less. When last January I arrived in Miami and the man at the passport control said: "Welcome in the United States" I felt butterflies on my stomach (don't ask me why. It happened, that's all).

Saretta said...

I guess it's always nice to feel wanted! :-)