Thursday, July 21, 2011

Men at Play, 2

Day Two of my husband and younger son's road trip started bright and early, after a violently windy night during which they didn't get much sleep for fear that the tent was going to blow away - with them in it!

Is it safe to come out now?
But things started looking a lot brighter after their morning consitutional . . . and a big cappucino and cream-filled cornetto at the bar. Italian campgrounds are fully equipped set-ups with coffee bars, mini-markets, deluxe (ha!) exercise centers like the one below, restaurants, you name it.

One, two, one, two . . .

On to the serious business of the day . . . beach time! 
Getting up early has its benefits, you get the whole beach to yourself.

These stones are mine, all mine!
This beach is called Baia delle Zagare, or Orange Blossom Bay. What looks like sand is actually millions of small, smooth pebbles that lie from the sea's crystal clear waters all the way up to the sheer white cliffs that border the beach.


This paradise is located at Vignanotica, on the Gargano peninsula.


G. spent all his time face down in the water, snorkling around for hours on end. He tells me he was looking at the pebbles, but when I asked him if he saw any fish he replied indifferently, "oh yeah, there were tons of fish." Fish - how dull. Rocks - thrilling! I've obviously got my priorities all wrong . . .


All in all, two idyllic days that won't soon be forgotten.

10 comments:

Tori Nelson said...

Gorgeous photos!

Robin said...

A lovely 2 day trip they had....
I think it funny the Italian camp grounds with all the city amenities. When I was a young girl I had a Girl Scout leader who would only camp in cabins with running water and electricity. She also wore makeup and brought hair curlers and blow dryer with her.
@:-)
Have a beautiful day....

Jennifer said...

I am declaring now: NEW FAVORITE BLOG!!! Saretta, if you hadn't have come by today, I wouldn't have known anything about you, your blog or your fabulous Italian life! :-) Oh, you can count on me coming back to read and gawk at the lovely pictures. Let's say "living vicariously"... :-)

Saretta said...

Tori - thanks so much! All merit of my husband.

Robin - your old GS leader would luv camping in Italy! ;-)

Jennifer - oh gosh, I'm blushing! An open-arm welcome!

likeschocolate said...

Beautiful beach, if only they didn't have so many rocks in italy.

Francesca said...

what a magic beach by a magic name. I must visit that part of italy one day.

Sandra Wilkes said...

That is just the greatest experience for the two of them to have together. I've never been to Italy...maybe one day. Just wish my kids and their dad had those memories.

Cuby said...

Wow what a superb blog so glad I stumbled upon it.
Boys will have fun and your two certainly sound as if they did which is great. The photos are wonderful. I will come back for more snatches of life in Italy.

leslie said...

so glad i found you! we are headed to the puglia region next spring/summer!!

gfe--gluten free easily said...

Truly fantastic all the way around! Thanks so much for sharing, Saretta! :-)

Shirley