Thursday, July 29, 2010

Plum Cake


Our single plum tree has been busy producing a bountiful crop of luscious purple plums. So many plums that we really can't eat them all ourselves. Just between you and me? You can only eat so many plums each day. So, we have also been giving away large quantities to family and friends.

 
Usually when I have this much of a fruit, I'll make jam. I may end up doing that soon. But, last night since we were having friends over, I decided to make a cake.
 
Baking, one of my passions, got more complicated about a year ago when I discovered that I was intolerant to both gluten and lactose. That means I can't eat anything with even traces of wheat, barley, malt or any kind of dairy products. With patience and practice, however, I have learned how to cook and bake within my dietary constraints.
 
A nice example is this Plum Cake. I do not remember where I found this recipe, but it is absolutely fantastic. Super easy to prepare (my kitchen philosophy remains "if it ain't easy, I don't cook it!") and delicious.
 
Ingredients:
125g vegetable margarine, softened
120g sugar + 2 tbsp
180g Gluten-free Dry Flour Mix
1 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
pinch of salt
24 halves pitted damsons (or other dark plums)
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Directions:
Cream together the margarine and 120g sugar until soft and fluffy. Add the flour, baking powder and salt and beat into the mixture before adding the beaten eggs a little at a time. Mix thoroughly to combine then spoon this batter into an ungreased 22 or 25cm springform cake tin. Cover the top with the plums, placing them skin side down.


Mix the cinnamon with the remaining sugar and use to sprinkle over the top of the cake. Place in an oven pre-heated to 170°C and bake for between 40 to 50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake emerges clean.


I had planned to take a lovely picture of a single slice, served with vanilla ice-cream, but my family's patience with my picture-taking mania ran thin and they devoured the cake before I had time to shoot a single shot.

10 comments:

Francesca said...

I firmly believe that you can have more more plums a day when they're baked:) Interesting recipe, I don't believe I've ever added cinnamon to anything with plums, what a good idea!

Rosaria Williams said...

The recipe sounds perfect.

Karen said...

I needed this recipe about a month ago when our plum trees were fruiting! We have quite a few trees, and can never find anyone willing to take any extra plums. I'm always on the lookout for things to do with them.

Natasha in Oz said...

Wow, that looks heavenly. I can't wait until it's summer so I can try this. YUMMY!

Best wishes for a fabulous weekend,
Natasha.

Kim said...

Ciao,

Saretta. The plum cake looks delicious.

M said...

my oh my, that makes me gulp. overall, i simply love your photo shots! :)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

It looks wonderful. No wonder your family couldn't wait!

The Blonde Duck said...

Popped in from SITS to say hi! I'm so glad to see this recipe. I have trouble with lactose and white flour, so this is great!

LindyLouMac said...

Thanks for your recent visits and comments over at News From Italy. With all our visitors now departed I am catching up on my Blog reading.

Not great cake eaters but it does sound rather delicious and with ice cream, yummy :) I loved your comment about the photo taking! My friends and family are always teasing me as i click away for my blog.

Saretta said...

Thank you all for your kind comments! The cake was super-delicious, I really recommend it! :-)