Sunday, February 6, 2011

Good Morning Sunshine


One morning not too long ago I stumbled groggily down the stairs to the kitchen to grab my life-sustaining first cup of tea, only to be stopped dead in my tracks by the sight you see in the photo. There was this gecko, this ANIMAL, this MONSTER lurking on the wall directly above the breakfast table. I'm not sure this photo does him justice...I mean that clock is really big, so proportionally Mr. Gecko was pretty darn big, too. And just sitting there looking like that mini-dinosaur creature that he is.

Now, I'm not one of those females who can't stand creepy crawlies and runs screaming at the sight, but you know how it is when you've just woken up. Personally, all I can think about is sitting down with my hot tea and corn cakes smeared with peanut butter and jam (my standard gluten/dairy-free breakfast, no comments, please!) and finding my way back to the real world. In fact, I always get up at least 20 minutes before everyone else so I can have this time ALONE...not with mini-crocodiles threatening to drop down into my teacup!

In Italian they have a saying, "Il Buongiorno si Vede dal Mattino," which roughly translates as something like "you can tell what kind of day it's going to be by the way your morning goes." But, I was lucky that morning. After skittering back and forth a bit, Mr. Mini-Monster disappeared. Yeah, he just wasn't there anymore. 

Now, that might make some people worry even more. Like, WHERE did he go? And, WHEN will he pop up next? And although I am fully aware that "maybe it will just go away" are the six most dangerous words in the English language...boy, was I glad when he did.

So, however this lovely Sunday begins for you, I wish that all of your worries and concerns just disappear, at least momentarily, and that you enjoy the day to the fullest with friends and loved ones.

HAPPY SUNDAY!

p.s. the gecko was next spotted in the hall closet, behind the coats...

4 comments:

LindyLouMac said...

Happy Sunny Sunday to you also. We have plenty of lizards that pop in to see us, but no geckos spotted indoors or close enough for a photo opportunity.

Cafe Fashionista said...

Gah! What a crazy way to start a sunny Sunday morning - but at least you have a fun story to tell!

Happy, Happy Sunday!! :)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I know exactly how you feel! I have a feeling your gecko will pop out again! Do keep us posted.

Unknown said...

I have an unreasonable fondness for geckos... I think it must have something to do with growing up with the Geico commercials. Now every time I see one all I can think of is that cute little pixar guy with his Australian accent. Too cute! All of my husband's female relatives are the scream and run away type though.