Saturday, February 21, 2009

Is it Only Me?

Or are there other social network complete incompetents out there?

I don't know what it is, but I always seem to get into trouble when I get involved in these things. Take Facebook, for example. I don't "get" Facebook, in the sense of I really don't see what all the excitement is about. I'll admit it's got it's good points. You can find people who you thought were long-lost. On the down side, however, you can be found by people you had hoped were long-lost!

I found my half-sister whom I had lost contact with for about 5 years, that was good. I found a little boy I knew in Mexico a lifetime ago, who is now a 27 year old concert pianist in Luxembourg, that is fascinating.

But, do I really want to be kept up to date on the daily comings and goings of all kinds of fringe relatives, old high school pals I don't even remember and complete and total strangers who ask to be my "friend" for God knows what reason?

Okay, so with a stretch of the imagination I can take a guess at the reason...they are always men, interested in women, looking for friendship and/or dating. There doesn't seem to be an age limit for this kind of Facebook approach. Before I figured out that I should make my profile available only to friends, I was getting tons of these requests from guys of all ages. My favorite was from an 18-year-old Egyptian man working at a McDonalds in Milan. What? I mean I'm a lot older than him and living at the other end of the peninsula. I guess I should be flattered...

And then there have been the Facebook disasters of my own making. I thought I had found a person I know. The name was the same. The photo showed a short, dark-haired guy standing on the kind of rock beach we have around here. He immediately accepted my request for friendship and wrote me a lovely, indecipherable note in terrible Italian saying that yes, he loved scuba-diving (my real friend is a diver), but his real interest was in esoterism! Alarm bells started ringing! This could not be the right guy, my friend is a teacher, he couldn't write that poorly...and esoterism? If you ask me, it was secret code for "kinky sex"! I unfriended the guy. He immediately sent me another friendship request. I blocked him. Oh dear...

This kind of thing has happened more than once. I'm like a weirdo magnet!

I haven't had much better luck with Skype, either. I hadn't set up my account 5 minutes when I get a message from a guy with some name like Dirk, saying "hi! watcha doin'?" Today it was "Haylie Sexy" who wanted to show me some pictures...great...

So, what? Is it just me, or have you had experiences like mine, too?

5 comments:

Rosa said...

My friends just don't do Facebook as none of the Uni or ex-school buddies seem to be on it. But it could be the age thing!

I'm in Luxembourg - I wonder if I've heard of the Mexican pianist?

Rosaria Williams said...

Hi, I left you a comment on your other blog about Molfetta, a place my best friend went to attend high school. I went to school in Potenza for a while, though Molfetta was on my radar. That was decades ago, but that's how I came to read you.

The world is full of Italians, like myself, who still love and miss their homeland. Your blog takes us back for a little while. Thanks.

Saretta said...

Scintilla - the pianist is called Juan Zurutusa, but he's not famous as far as I know.

Ladeviewer - Potenza? Wow! That's not far away from here.

Fabrizio Zanelli said...

If it can help I found a Juan ZurutuZa pianist in Netherland (not far from Lux) on Linkedin:

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/dir/juan/zurutuza

Maria Verivaki said...

im so glad i checked out your other blog - and no, i dont do facebook - you wont find me there at all